Sunday, December 15, 2013

The "Quiet" Times

The last ten days have been some rather memorable ones to say the least. For starters, Nelson Mandela has passed away. Never in a million years would I have expected to be in South Africa when the time came for Madiba to join our Creator in eternal life. It has been a blessing to get to celebrate such an amazing, profound, and revolutionary life alongside the people whom Madiba fought so hard for. Less than a week ago I sat in the living room of the Lekubu mission house with my host parents and watched as President Obama, and other world leaders, delivered a speech to the people of South Africa in celebration of Mandela’s life. And today many different places across the country stopped and took part in saying their final goodbyes as the father of a nation was finally laid in his final resting place.

All that aside, as I think back, there have also been some ordinary parts of my daily life that have been awesome/memorable as well. I’ve spent the last two days listening to choirs from all over South Africa sing at a choir competition at the University of the North West Mafikeng. My little sister, Kitlano turned five years old today. Most days I think she’s closer to 25 years old, but I love her regardless. My first pair of Chacos finally broke today. Not such a big deal to most I’m sure, but I know my Chaconian friends will understand. And then on the car ride home tonight myself and four of my friends piled into a car, cranked the music up, and sang, laughed and simply had a good time road tripping together back to Lekubu. 

Life doesn’t get much better then this.
 
Peace

1 comment:

  1. Recognizing your blessings and pausing to identify them makes a huge difference in our lives, doesn't it? Blessings, carol & gene b

    ReplyDelete