Monday, March 31, 2014

Before The Cock Crows

Last nights lenten reading about Peter's denial of Jesus really got me thinking, how many times have I done the same? I've grown up around a faith based community, i've worked as a camp counselor at a Lutheran Bible camp, and i've listened to a call that has lead me here to South Africa. Obviously my faith and Jesus Christ are a big part of my life, i've felt His love, so why is it more often than not I find myself denying Him in the presence of others?

Proclaiming Christ and the Christian faith to the world is no easy task. The list of excuses not to is far to long in my opinion. "I don't agree with everything the institutional church tells the world, and quite frankly I'm embarrassed by it sometimes." Did Jesus not challenge the institutional church of the time and question their teachings? " I don't believe in telling others their faith or lack of faith is wrong." There are ways to share Christ's love through actions that allow for free and open conversations about your faith. Interfaith dialogue is a wonderful and beautiful thing. " Im not strong enough in my own faith to share it with others." Who said there was a "perfect" or "correct" faith formula?

As a missionary, i've found this topic to be even more challenging. One because I'm not a missionary in the traditional perceived idea of the word, and two because daily life can be challenging enough to navigate sometimes let alone delving into deeper expressions of one's faith life. But maybe those are just more excuses? To be completely honest, I'm not sure I have an answer to this riddle.

At the end of the day though we are all missionaries for Christ, called into this life through baptism to share HIs ever abounding love and grace with all those we encounter. There are no spectators in this game, there are no all stars, there are no heroes. Every single one of us is a living breathing miracle, a gift of life and love shown through God's grace. Called to share in the meal with all of our brothers and sisters regardless of race, gender, religion or creed.

Today I take up the challenge to show Jesus to the world. Whether that be through my words, my actions, or my simple presence. I don't know and never will know the "right" way to go about sharing His love, but I think I'll start by simply trying. 

Peace

*written March 27th

1 comment: