Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Dominate The Conversation

There have been many times through out my time here that I have found personal growth and change happening in the last places I expected them too. But the realization that hit home today is by far my biggest surprise yet.

A couple weeks ago my little sister Kiki was dominating the dinner conversation, as usual, when the topic of my departure came up. She had decided that having me around was ok with her and that she, in-fact, had decided that she would like another malome (uncle, all the creche kids call me this) from America to come stay with them again next year. Then she decided that wasn't what she wanted, and would just come home with me when I left in July instead. Yep that's what she wanted. We all laughed as she proudly declared this to the table so matter of fact. I thanked her and told her that if she was lucky she may just get to have another malome from America next year.

The conversation shifted and regular evening routines followed. At the time it all just seamed like casual conversation. As we sat around the same table tonight for dinner, I ounce again looked and listened to Kiki across the table dominating the conversation. Except this time it was different. It felt almost like a movie scene. Like time itself had slowed down, and as I watched and listened from across the table I begin to realize just how much this beautiful little five year old has truly shaped my year here as well as the rest of my life.

She's taught me patience. Patience that I never gave to my younger siblings back home. Patience in the eyes of challenge and that it takes great patience to perceiver in times of doubt and the unknown. She's shown me the blissful innocence of a child in ways that I've never understood it before. She's given me part of my voice here. Without her helping me and teaching me I wouldn't know a lot of the Tswana language I've learned. But most of all she's shown me friendship. Completely unconditional loving friendship when she didn't have to.

Tonight Kitlano Mogale broke through a personal defense system that nobody has ever entered in 23 years. Tonight as I sat across the table watching her giggle, tell stories and laugh, I've never been so happy, humbled, and blessed to listen to her dominate the conversation.

 
Peace

*written April 5th

No comments:

Post a Comment