Wednesday, September 25, 2013

And Strangely......That's Enough


I was reading a book recently called Radical by David Platt. I started reading it not long after I arrived in South Africa and in the begin pages was really enjoying it. But as I read further into the book the more I started to struggle with how contradictory some of the statements in the book where. Lets just say my theology wasn't really matching up with that of Platt. Granted Platt is a baptist minister from Birmingham, Alabama and I have grown up in the Montana Lutheran ELCA church. But I am all for interfaith dialogue, so I kept reading. So, even though I found myself disagreeing with more of the theology in Mr. Platt's writings he had one statement that really got me thinking. "Nothing but the people of God and the Word of God. And strangely, that's enough." He writes this phrase in reference to secret meetings of Christians all across different Asian countries, and how their desire for the Word was so intense that they were willing to risk their lives just to hear more of it.

Now we live in a consumer ridden world that demands more for sure, but more of what? Since being in Lekubu I have come to realize that the "more" I have been desiring in my life isn't something I can pick up at the store or order online. It's the desire to surround myself with God's people, God's children. To try and live in community with His people in every place on this earth. To learn as much as I possibly can about His people with the time I have been gifted with. To continue intentionally sharing and studying the Word together with my brothers and sisters. To choose to make my faith a way of life, rather then merely a system of beliefs. We have so much that we can share with each other simply by joining in fellowship. Because at the end of the day, the people of God and the Word of God, are strangely enough……

 

*written September 8th, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment