Friday, October 4, 2013

Breaking Bread

The other day while I was getting ready for the day my eyes happened across something that I really was needing to see and I didn't even realize it. " Exploring God's creation and the adventure of life together." It's part of the mission statement of Christikon Lutheran Bible Camp, where I have spent the last two summers of my life. Oddly enough, those few simple words meant more to me that day then they ever had before.

Living in a new place, with new faces, new culture, and many other differences can take some time to adjust to. Ive been on African soil now for about five weeks and I'm just now starting to feel adjusted into a routine here. In fact, I'm beginning to get small glimpses of things that feel a lot like home. The words on the front of that Christikon T-shirt.

It made me think of how many times before I left to come here that I was asked, "Well what are you going to be doing there??". To which my response was always," I don't know". I can answer that question now though. I'm exploring God's creation and I'm on an adventure of what it means to live in community among the people of a rural South African village.

Sitting on the front porch shooting the breeze with your dad. Multiple times now me and my host father have found ourselves spending hours in the evenings just sitting out on the front porch and simply shooting the breeze. It reminds me of all the times me and my own father would do this very same thing. Even half way around the world, two guys can sit out on the porch watching the sun set and be completely content with the simple words and company of another guy.

Sitting around the table, sharing a meal. This one has probably been where I have felt the most at home. Regardless of where you are in this world there is something incredibly profound about sharing a meal together, breaking bread. The laughs and smiles you share with those around the table. Distributing food to everyone so everyone feels satisfied. And most of all sharing in rapela (prayer). It doesn't matter what the food is in front of you, because the fellowship and the community formed around breaking bread together is one that can't be compared.

 

"Exploring God's creation, and the adventure of life together."

 

*Written September 30th

No comments:

Post a Comment