Sunday, October 13, 2013

Landscape Artist

Coming from West/Central Montana it can be pretty hard to find scenery and the world around you appealing in other places in the world. Especially when it comes to the views and the sunsets. I mean it's called "Big Sky" country for a reason. But I have to admit, I think I've found a very very close second.

It never gets old watching the sunset( or rise for that matter) here in South Africa. For starters, the sky here is the closest thing to "Big Sky" country I've ever seen in my life. The way the landscape and the sky join each other is absolutely remarkable. A slight haze seams to always hang just above the tree tops and coats the mountains far off in the distance in a beautiful overlay of combined earth and sky. The depth and the complexity visible on the horizon here cause me to think I'm seeing things most of the time. But time after time, I realize that what I perceive to be an imagination of my eyes truly is a reality. The sunsets here, in all truth, just might surpass those of my midwest mountain paradise. Every single night the evening sky is light up like a blazing wildfire sent out of control by tormenting winds. The overwhelming glow of red, orange, purple and yellow dancing with each other and combining into the most beautiful colors creation has to offer has a softness to the eyes that you simply can't look away from. And just as the last bit of visible sun falls past the horizon the scene unfolding in front of your eyes has the feel of the most elaborate hollywood film ever shot. And just as quickly as the beauty unfolded in front of your eyes, its gone and lost the blanket of stars. At least until tomorrow, when once again the complex painting in the sky I've grown to love returns.

 

Peace

 

*written October 6th

No comments:

Post a Comment