Sunday, October 13, 2013

Power & Privilege


During our orientation in Chicago we were asked to take a look at these questions. At the time I couldn't even begin to answer them. I think it really bothered me that couldn't answer them too. Now after being abroad for awhile, I've had enough time to really think them over. Not to mention the amount of personal growth I've already experienced. I wanted to share these reflections with you and give you a little better glimpse into what it means to be a volunteer, to be a an American volunteer, and most of all to be a representative of the ELCA as a Young Adult in Global Mission.

 

1. In what situations/contexts are you most aware of your own power and/or privilege?

                 When first asked this question at orientation I really couldn't even begin to answer it. I actually took these questions down and just shelved them because I couldn't even process them at the time they were being asked. Since being in SA though my reaction to these have changed drastically. I feel most aware of my power/privilege in every single situation/context here. I have all these fun toys with me, my computer, iPod, Ext. Hard Drive, Movies, Music, etc. Very few others here have those things. In listening to peoples stories since arriving, I have had SO many opportunities and chances to do things in my life that most of the people here will never get to do, let alone dream of doing. College, work, having my own home, provide for a family, owning a vehicle, the list goes on. It will definitely be something I take with me from this year that I never would have anticipated being something I would gain more understand of in my year.

2. Whether consciously or unconsciously, how have you used your privilege, both as an individual and as a member of various groups?

                 I really wasn't able to answer this question at orientation either. Looking back now since having some time here though I think I can answer it pretty well. For me it has mostly been unconsciously that I have used my power/privilege back home. I first identified it when Tessa blatantly told me about it. Im so very thankful that she did and didn't sugarcoat it either. Ive grown up in a western male culture. We strive constantly to out do, be better then, and appear dominant to all others. Ive been gifted with fairly decent intelligence, many different skill sets, and various other traits that have allowed me to advance and be rather successful in that cultural system. I have had to really step outside that system here in SA. Ive become pretty good at identifying when I could take the western male approach to a situation and fix something or show someone a "better" way to do something, and rather then acting I sit back and just observe now. Not only has it allowed me to watch and observed others, it's allowed me to learned a lot about myself. Its been something that I've been able to hold over people. And its something I did without even knowing it until now, when I have been pulled from the system and forced to look at things through a different lens. It hasn't been easy by any means. It too is something I will take back home with me that I never would have anticipated gaining from my YAGM experience.

3. How might your identity connect with others' perception of your power and privilege in the international context?

                 This one was much harder and a much different response then I was expecting. Back home I'm a pretty grungy, outdoor, simple person. Or at least I thought I was. But even my grungy, simple, less extravagant style/identity back home still bears a lot of power/privilege over people in my host community. Things as simple as my Nalgene. As an outdoor/backcountry enthusiast I literally take my Nalgene everywhere, and I'm always trying to drink water. It's just kind of a cultural norm back home. But here, something as simple as having a water bottle displays power/privilege over people. It is not the cultural norm here. Very few people have water bottles. In fact, drinking water at all isn't really a big deal around here in my experiences. In a lot of contexts even if people did have a water bottle, it would be much harder to fill up then it is for me back home. It wasn't even something I had to think about back home, but its a very real difference and perception here. So when I first got here my Nalgene went with me everywhere, but now a couple weeks in it rarely leaves the house.

4. How might you be attentive to looking for ways that power and privilege are lived out in your host community?

                 I think this one is a much less complicated response then I first was trying to look for back at orientation. Observation, the power of true observation can get you a long way. Being dropped into a new culture with new traditions and different do's & don'ts then you're use to forces you to become an expert in the field of observation. I feel like I've always been rather fair at the practice of observation, but I have been able take my skills in the field to a whole new level. I think this also ties into the western male "fix it/out do/make it better" cultural system. When you take a step back rather then stepping in, you truly can see much more of the situation that is going on around you. You get a more complete storyline of the people around you, rather then the single story line you may have gotten if you had just stepped in. The other way I've found that might sound ridiculous but has worked for me is ask. You can learn a lot by asking people who do know the cultural systems better then you. And I've found that most of the time people are more then willing, if not happy, to share with you.

5. How can you be a responsible steward of your power and privilege in your host community?

                 This one has probably been the hardest honestly. Like I said before, I can feel/sense my power/privilege in almost every situation or context. I have had to work really really hard at forcing myself to identify the times my power or privilege is oppressing someone around me. My computer rarely leaves my room. The only time it does is when my host father also has his out in the living room and we are both doing some work. There also have been multiple chances for me to "fix" things since arriving. Whether it be my host fathers four wheeler, something around the house, a piece of playground equipment at the creche, or a system that is in place here that I view as something that could be fine tuned and better organized. With Tessa's help in identifying my western male tendencies, I've chose to step back from these situations and merely observe instead. It has allowed for stronger relationships between me and my host community I think. It has showed them and me that I'm not here to fix or change or tell them how to do things. That I am truly here to learn and walk with them in accompaniment.

 

Peace

 

*written October 7th

No comments:

Post a Comment