Friday, October 4, 2013

Man In The Shadows

When you take a step back and truly look at the world around you, it just might amaze you. Scenery can of coarse always be changing and something new and beautiful may just catch your eye for the first time. Or maybe something that you have been pondering in your mind suddenly becomes clear as the midnight sky on a cool spring day? And most of all you allow yourself to receive the entire story of the world and people around you, rather then the single story you may already have placed in your mind. If you're really lucky you may just catch small glimpses of all of these things at once, and your understanding and appreciation for the people around you becomes more profound on an entirely new level.

Growing up in an individualistic culture I've been extraordinarily blessed with many gifts and many talents. In many ways I have spent the majority of my life struggling to find a challenge rather then struggling through one. I see something I wish to develop a skill at or overcome and well, I do it. Im the jerk kid back in school that messed around and procrastinated 95% of the time and managed to pull a solid A- average still. It has been easy for me to "one-up" or "outdo" my opponent at nearly everything. Whether it be a test of logic, skill, artistic ability, etc. I usually could find a way to appear better then those around me. Isn't that what we're taught?

It wasn't until 22 years into this life, and coming to South Africa, that I truly realized how instinctively and by habit I did these things. For the first time in my life I was uprooted from an individualistic way of thinking into a completely community based one. Every individualistic habit I had taught myself now meant nothing, and if nothing else, made me look bad. Since landing on African soil, I now truly understand the words "Power" and "Privilege". One example in particular comes to mind. As most of you know, I rather enjoy my time behind the lens of my camera. I like to think I'm decently good at the art of photography, and heck it's even made me a little bit of money. But when it came down to it, I could use that skill to either hurt or grow my community and my time here in South Africa. I chose to let it grow. I by no means have put the camera away completely, but I've been extremely discrete with it and allowed others the stage. One man in particular comes to mind. He is an older gentlemen in the community, and he absolutely loves taking pictures. He is seen kind of as the village photographer. Me and him have had some very fun talks about photography. Ultimately, it has brought me much more joy to watch him at work. He is always taking pictures of families and community members together. People react for him in ways that they would never react for me. He takes great, candid, and colorful pictures and has them printed for people. When he shows the prints to people for the first time you can literally watch there faces explode with happiness. And in almost every home you go into in the village you can see his work displayed.

So I will remain hidden in the shadows. After all the shadows allow for the best seats to watch and capture ;) the true joy people can bring to each others lives.

 

Peace

 

*written October 2nd

No comments:

Post a Comment