Friday, November 29, 2013

There's Much to Celebrate

Thanksgiving for me this year took on an entirely new form. If you would have asked me a year ago what Thanksgiving meant to me, my likely response would probably have consisted of something like time with family, food, and football. Which are all great things, and yes I am thankful for them, but those things mean so much more then the empty containers I use to put them in.

For the first time in my life I can honestly say that I was thankful for the food on the table yesterday. As a YAGM family we prepared an entire Thanksgiving feast together. It wasn't grandma and mom slaving in the kitchen all day as I sat lazily in the livingroom watching football. It took all ten of our combined gifts and talents as a whole family to provide a meal for each other.

We found family in each other, and even maybe a new way to define what family really is. Not to say our families 8,000+ miles away weren't in our thoughts or prayers, but for most if not all of us, we found a deep comfort in each other i'm not sure we were expecting to find.

It was a great reminder for me of how much we really truly have to be thankful for everyday. I desperately hope I can remember to thank God each and everyday for the things, people, and beauty he has brought into my life. And I don't need a special day to remember where it all comes from in the first place. Happy Thanksgiving from South Africa!!

Peace

1 comment:

  1. God has given you many gifts and you are now a gift to many others. Many thanks to you for taking this year to share. Carol and Gene B

    ReplyDelete